Greetings, fellow woodworkers and DIY enthusiasts! If you’ve been on the hunt for the right chainsaw to tackle thick wood, you’ve probably come across BS Power, a renowned company offering an extensive range of industrial equipment in South Africa, including a diverse line of high-quality chainsaws. This blog post will guide you through choosing the right chainsaw from bspower.co.za that cuts thick pieces of wood more efficiently and quickly.
Understanding Chainsaw Basics
Before we start comparing specific models, it’s essential to understand what contributes to a chainsaw’s cutting speed. Three main factors include:
- Engine Power: Measured in cubic centimeters (CC) for gas chainsaws or Volts (V) for electric models, higher numbers usually translate to greater power and faster cuts.
- Chain Speed: Measured in metres per second (m/s) or feet per minute (FPM), a higher chain speed means the chain moves quicker around the bar, allowing for faster cutting.
- Bar Length: The longer the bar, the larger the wood it can cut in a single pass. However, a longer bar doesn’t necessarily mean a faster cut, as it can put more strain on the engine.
The BS Power Chainsaw Line-Up
BS Power offers an impressive array of chainsaws, suitable for diverse needs. Let’s focus on their top performers when it comes to dealing with thick wood:
- BS381 Petrol Chainsaw: A robust, petrol-powered chainsaw, this model boasts a 37.2cc engine, an 18-inch bar length, and an impressive chain speed. The powerful engine paired with its considerable bar length makes it a go-to choice for dealing with thicker pieces of wood.
- BS6210 Petrol Chainsaw: With an incredible 62cc engine, this model is the powerhouse of the lot. While it might be overkill for smaller jobs, the extra power and bar length of 24 inches will make short work of thick pieces of wood.
- BSE3800 Electric Chainsaw: For those preferring electric power, this model features a robust 2200 Watt motor. While it might not match the sheer power of the petrol models, it still offers a respectable chain speed and a 16-inch bar, capable of handling moderate thickness wood with ease.
Making the Choice: Which Chainsaw is Faster?
Now, back to our original question: which chainsaw will cut a thick piece of wood faster?
If we consider the factors we’ve outlined above, the BS6210 Petrol Chainsaw seems to be the clear winner. With its exceptional engine power and lengthy bar, it is designed to cut through large, thick pieces of wood rapidly and efficiently. The petrol engine also allows it to maintain its speed and power without being limited by a power cord, unlike the electric model.
However, keep in mind that the fastest chainsaw might not always be the best choice for you. Consider your specific needs, budget, and comfort with handling a more potent chainsaw. For less demanding jobs, the BS381 Petrol Chainsaw or the BSE3800 Electric Chainsaw might be a better fit.
The Bottom Line
BS Power provides a range of chainsaws to fit the varying needs of their customers. When it comes to speed and power in dealing with thick wood, their BS6210 Petrol Chainsaw comes out on top. Yet, every woodworker’s needs are unique, and the best chainsaw for you depends on more than just speed—it’s also about what suits your work style, safety, and comfort.
As always, remember to follow all safety guidelines when operating chainsaw
Ergonomics and Ease of Use
Chainsaws are powerful tools, but they can also be hefty and hard to manage, especially when working for long periods or in tricky situations. BS Power’s chainsaws offer varying levels of ergonomics and user-friendly features:
- BS381 Petrol Chainsaw: With its well-balanced design and comfortable handle, this model is relatively easy to control, despite its substantial power.
- BS6210 Petrol Chainsaw: Although powerful, this chainsaw is heavier due to its large engine and longer bar. If you’re not used to handling such a sizeable chainsaw, it might tire you out faster.
- BSE3800 Electric Chainsaw: Being electric, this chainsaw is generally lighter and more manageable, making it a solid choice if ease of use and less fatigue are your priorities.
Maintenance and Durability
Another key aspect to consider is the maintenance requirement and the durability of the chainsaw:
- Petrol Chainsaws (BS381 & BS6210): These chainsaws require regular maintenance, including cleaning, chain sharpening, and engine servicing. However, they tend to be more durable and are better for heavy-duty, regular use.
- BSE3800 Electric Chainsaw: Electric chainsaws require less maintenance as there are no spark plugs or air filters to change. But they may not withstand heavy-duty usage as effectively as their petrol counterparts.
If you’re concerned about environmental impact, it’s important to note that electric chainsaws like the BSE3800 produce fewer emissions and operate more quietly than petrol models. However, they rely on electricity, the generation of which may have its own environmental impact depending on the source.
Choosing the fastest chainsaw to cut thick pieces of wood is only one part of the decision-making process. When selecting from BS Power’s range of high-quality chainsaws, you should also consider factors like ergonomics, maintenance needs, durability, and environmental impact.
The BS6210 Petrol Chainsaw remains the quickest option for cutting through thick wood, but depending on your personal requirements, you might find the BS381 Petrol Chainsaw or the BSE3800 Electric Chainsaw to be more appropriate choices.
In the end, the key to making the right choice is to understand your specific needs, preferences, and the demands of the work you’ll be doing. Consider all these aspects and you’ll be well on your way to selecting the perfect chainsaw for your needs from BS Power.